TMJ and TMD Therapy
Get Relief From Your Kemptville and Kanata Dental Clinic
Do you suffer from unexplained pains in your ears, neck, and shoulders? It might surprise you to learn that these aches and pains are caused by the temporomandibular joint, which connects your jaw to your skull.
Symptoms of a temporomandibular joint misalignment include:
- Headaches and migraines
- Ear pain, similar to an earache caused by infection
- Difficulty chewing and and uncomfortable bite
- Clicking, popping, or locking of the jaw
- Ringing in your ears
- Nausea, dizziness, and even vertigo-like symptoms
- Jaw, neck, shoulder, and back pain
- And much more
If you’re suffering from these symptoms but haven’t been able to find a cause, then you might be suffering from a temporomandibular joint dysfunction.
TMJ and TMD Diagnosis
TMJ and TMD are often used interchangeably to describe a common condition that affects the temporomandibular joint.
Typically, TMD is caused by a misaligned jaw which impacts nerves, muscles, tendons, and other bones. This causes a wide array of symptoms that are often misdiagnosed.
Thankfully, our dentists can help you get to the root of the problem and provide treatment to get you the relief you need.
TMJ and TMD Treatment
There are a number of excellent treatment options available to provide relief and correct TMD issues. Depending on the severity of symptoms, your dentist may recommend a combination of treatments to ensure symptoms don’t continue to provide discomfort and other problems.
Common TMD treatments include:
- Transcutaneous electrical neural stimulation (TENS) therapy to relax jaw muscles
- Mouthguards and orthodontics to gently realign your jaw
- Reconstructive dental procedures
- Better oral health habits and even changes to your diet
If you’re dealing with frustrating pains and need a solution, please don’t hesitate to contact us today. We’ll provide a thorough diagnosis to determine if you have TMD and will recommend treatments to get your life back to normal.